An SSL connection encrypts data that is passed between web servers and browsers. This article covers the options available to you in order to secure the connection between your site and the server it is hosted on.
Sites that are hosted under the fluidreview.com domain will not require an SSL certificate to be purchased. As we host this domain, our SSL certificate secures your connection without any action taken on your part. However, in the case that a custom or vanity URL is in use, our SSL certificate no longer covers you.
NOTE: A separate certificate is required for each vanity URL, Wildcard certificates are not supported.
When a custom or vanity URL is used instead of the fluidreview.com domain, a secure connection under our SSL certificate is not covered. In this case, an SSL certificate must be purchased from an SSL certificate provider and applied to our server.
To obtain an SSL certificate for your vanity URL:
- Contact your Implementation Specialist or the support team (firstname.lastname@example.org) and let us know that you will be purchasing an SSL certificate for your site. We will need some information from you in order to complete a CSR generation form for you. See CSR Requirements below.
- FluidReview will supply you with a CSR (Certificate Signing Request) to be sent to the SSL provider.
- You will be provided a certificate (preferably a .crt file type) from the SSL provider to pass back to us.
- FluidReview will apply the certificate and the SSL connection will be enabled.
TIP! A .crt file is the preferred file type that will be sent back to us. If this is not an option, please note that the server type to generate the file for is "Other" or "Apache."
NOTE: Applying an SSL certificate to a Vanity URL may take up to 30 days to complete. It is important to get this process started as soon as you can to get your connection secured before your site is launched.
WARNING! SSL certificates purchased without a CSR generated by FluidReview cannot be used.
In order to generate a CSR that can be used to purchase an SSL certificate we will require the following information from you:
- Domain to generate CSR for
- Country being issued to
- Company Name
- Company Department
- Email address of IT contact
If you are looking to renew the current SSL that is applied to your site then we will be required to perform the entire process again by creating a new CSR for your site following the steps listed above.
We would recommend reaching out to us at least 30 days before your current SSL is set to expire. This will ensure that the new SSL can be implemented prior to the date of expiry and ensure that your site will not become un-secure while we implement the new SSL.